Friday, August 24, 2007

John McCain's age

I'm not sure how related this is to my project but John McCain's age is becoming a potential issue for him; he turns 71 on Wednesday. So, in case you were wondering, here are the ages of the top 17 candidates as of today, youngest to oldest (I'll keep Tommy Thompson in for this one). These are only as accurate as my quick addition math skills by the way but I'm pretty sure I've got them right:
Barack Obama- 46
Sam Brownback- 50
Mike Huckabee- 52
John Edwards- 54
Duncan Hunter- 59
Hillary Clinton- 59
Bill Richardson- 59
Dennis Kucinich- 60
Mitt Romney- 60
Tom Tancredo- 61
Chris Dodd- 63
Rudy Guliani- 63
Joe Biden- 64
Tommy Thompson- 65
John McCain- 70
Ron Paul- 72
Mike Gravel- 77

As you can read in the McCain article and for comparison, Ronald Reagan was elected to his first term at age 69, Bob Dole was 73 when he lost to Bill Clinton who was elected at age 46. John Kennedy was elected at age 43 (I had a 45 vinyl record when I was a kid called "John F. Kennedy" with lyrics that began, "John F. Kennedy, a remarkable young man was he. At age 43, elected to the Presidency." For some reason, this lyric is permanently embedded in my memory, a catchy tune I guess although I can't recall much more of the lyrics, something about commanding a PT-boat.)

7 comments:

J. O'Brien said...

Hey thanks J, this was a pleasant surprise. Now with the song title, maybe I can find a copy of the song somewhere.

You clarified one thing, whether the song was recorded before or after his death. I couldn't remember if the lyrics were "a remarkable young man is he" or "a remarkable young man was he."

Unknown said...

By any chance would you have a way of contacting J Drayman? My husband keeps talking about that record and I'm trying to find a way to at least get a digital copy of the recording.

Jonathan said...

That Kennedy lyric sticks in my brain too. I have the LP "Sing A Song of Presidents" (Peter Pan Records) which I played all the time as a kid. I still remember many of the lyrics for each of the songs about the first 35 presidents. And ironically, I am trying this week to digitize the 35 songs for my 7 year old! Who wants a copy? (strength_and_truth@yahoo.com)

About 10 years ago I saw a news report about Caroline Kennedy visiting the JFK birthplace in Brookline, MA and a chorus of schoolchildren serenaded her there with the JFK song from the record. I almost fainted!!!!

Unknown said...

Gee I thought I was the only one who knew that song

As commander of a PT boat
he got the Purlple Heart
he was a combat hero
and he bravely did his part
As Senator this Democrat
worked harder and to strive
till he became the president
number thirty five

Unknown said...

Can anyone send me a copy of this record?

Unknown said...

Can anyone send me a copy of this?

Unknown said...

I grew up listening to that song as a kid too!

Another verse was:

"His Grand Dad was a mayor, his dad Ambassador.

He graduated Harvard and gave service to the war."